- How can we live in a way that honours God while still respecting our culture?
- How do we use Scripture to evaluate cultural practices and discern what to do?
- When cultural practices and values clash with obedience to God, what do we do?
- When pressures from family/community require us to behave in ways that do not align with Scripture or participate in certain ceremonies we feel uncomfortable with, what choices do we make?
- How can we make choices that align with Scripture—especially when the costs are great and when cultural beliefs are powerfully ingrained? Can we do this while still being culturally relevant?
Starting in February 2024, the 8-week Culture meets Scripture training programme aims to equip participants with a way of thinking and a tool for digging deeper into cultural practices and ways of living, aligning them with Scripture so that we can make choices that honour God.
The online interactions will happen via the EMDC platform – to register for the class please sign up via EMDC here.
Please choose which class you wish to attend when signing up (Tuesdays OR Wednesdays):
- Tuesdays 9 to 11 am UTC, 6th Feb to the 26th Mar 2024
- Wednesdays 2 to 4 pm UTC, 7th Feb to the 27th Mar 2024
Please note this course operates a flipped classroom approach where participants
- watch videos and read articles before class each week (about 2-3 hours per week),
- meet weekly for a live class (2 hours per week)
- talk with one or two community members weekly (approximately 1-2 hours per week)
- complete a weekly assignment (approximately 2-3 hours a week)
It is an intensive 8-week course that requires 8 to 10 hours of your time each week.